If this is your first time taking a yoga class, you may wonder what is the etiquette and want to know what to expect in coming to class.
Here’re some guidelines that may help you to feel at ease if you have never taken a yoga class before:
How soon should I arrive? What to expect in a yoga classroom.
- We ask that you arrive 10 minutes earlier than the start time. This would allow you time to relax, wind down and find a place for your mat in the classroom.
- Students who arrive more than 5 minutes after the posted class start time, please quietly take the space that is most readily available without disturbing the rest of the class.
- Late arrivals and early departures are disruptive to class. If you must leave early, please advise the instructor at the beginning of class, and take the place nearest the exit.
- Please check yourself in on the iPad just outside your classroom. If you haven’t pre-registered and/or pay online, please let the instructor know and she can help you do that on the iPad.
- We ask that you turn your phone or switch it to “Airplane Mode” when you arrive to enjoy the time you carve out of your schedule for yoga and also not to disturb your fellow classmates with your device.
- Take off your shoes (or boots and coat) in the storage/coat room. There should be a sign there to show you the location of the room.
- Once you enter the yoga classroom, please be in a meditative mode to respect the silence and serenity of the atmosphere. Reserve your socializing at the end of class.
- For the evening or late afternoon yoga classes which are upstairs on the 2nd Floor, the coat room is right next to the yoga classroom.
- For the morning yoga class downstairs which are on the first floor, the coat room is right outside the yoga classroom.
Should I eat a breakfast before my morning yoga class?
- It’s OK to eat a small meal or light breakfast 1 or 2 hours before your yoga class. Light breakfast such as a slice of toast and a cup of coffee is okay. Light meal such as a yogurt or a granola bar before class is okay but showing up with a full stomach or a tight waistband can make yoga uncomfortable.
What type of clothes should I wear to yoga class?
- Please wear comfortable or flexible clothing because yoga may require a lot of stretching. Yoga is best enjoyed bare feet or socks.
- Refrain from wearing scented products so the class is friendly to those with allergies and sensitivities.
- Inform your teacher of any concerns you have before class
- Feel free to rest at any time during class, or to modify poses to make them friendly to your body.